Friday, January 16, 2015

Improv Quilt

If you follow Mom and me on Instagram you will see all the projects we are currently working on. This quilt was started before we moved and I can not believe this but I finished it up the last two days and actually photographed it to show you immediately -- WHAT!!! Craziness people. 

I have a Pinterest board where collect all sorts of awesome quilts I find. And I found myself pinning a lot of these improv quilts. So with a healthy stash of Rowan fabrics Shot Cottons (purchased from Purl Soho) I decided to give it a try. 


Improving is WORK. Now I know part of my problem was working from uncut pieces of fabric - scraps would make this process much, much faster. I basically had to turn all this gorgeous fabric into scraps and then try and then create a random quilt without feeling like I was forcing a design. 


It's a super bright and happy quilt. And because creating the top didn't take long enough I decided to do quilting every 1/3 inch with Dove Aurifil thread. I continue to not know why I do these things to myself. But I think it's because I really, really love it even though I really, really dislike how long it takes to finish it! 


The back and binding are chambray from Imaginegnats shop. Seriously don't follow the link unless you plan to purchase fabric... gorgeous stuff. 


This puppy will be in heavy rotation- the kids were doing summersaults on it before I could attach the binding. 



6 comments:

  1. Well, I'm impressed! Improv is a technique I haven't really wanted to try. You guys did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wait - I took your first statement to mean you both worked on it, but I re-read. Even more impressed that you did it all alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! It would be awesome for outside or to bring some major color to a room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! It would be awesome for outside or to bring some major color to a room!

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment
or follow us!
PLEASE make sure that you leave a way for us to contact you back if you have a question. We have been having a lot of comments/questions from individuals who have a profile but still no way to contact them.
You can also email us if you want to be sure to hear back!